Ask a question

I’M NOT A DUNGEONS&DRAGONS DESIGNER, I reply if I have a right answer but my answers are not official.
I’m just a librarian that collects and study designer answers.

If you need an official answer you could ask directly via Twitter to Master Jeremy @JeremyECrawford or contact sageadvice@wizards.com

2,079 thoughts on “Ask a question

1. So, Arcane Tricksters get the ability to be a Spell Thief at level 17.

I wanted to know how it works exactly in the following two situations, as the wording in the book is a bit vague and I’ve not found any explanations anywhere I’ve searched.

Scenario 1:

A Sorcerer casts Power Word Kill, a 9th level spell, on the Arcane Trickster, who has a reaction available and is under the 100 HP requirement of the Power Word Kill to affect him.
    The AT uses his reaction to Spell Thief the Power Word Kill.
    Would the Spell Thief reaction allow him to negate Power Word Kill?

Scenario 2:
    A Sorcerer casts Fireball, a 3rd level spell, as a 6th level spell, targeting the area where the Arcane Trickster is.
    the AT has his reaction available and uses it to Spell Thief the Fireball.
    Would the Spell Thief reaction allow him to negate the fireball, and since the spell is originally a 3rd level spell, would he steal it from the Sorcerer and gain it for the 8 hour duration?

• Zoltar says:

Bold Lycos
      I’m not a D&D designer and my answers are not official but here is my advice

1. Yes

2. Yes but the fireball effect hits all characters in the AoE except you

• In both cases, the spell effect against you is negated (no death, no burn.) In neither case do you get to keep the spell because spells are the level they are cast at – you have no 6th or 9th level slots.

2. Alex says:

Invoke Duplicity is very vague so my DM and I have some questions. 1. Can it make noises? 2. Can it be determined as an illusion with a simple investigation check? 3. When targeted in combat will it attempt to keep up the illusion that it’s real like dodging an attack or do attacks connect easily enough to auto hit it?

Apologies in advance.

3. Alex says:

What do you think prompts the need for the use of a cooking check and the related ability? I have a character proficient in cook’s tools and I’m not really sure how to apply that without making a cooking check every 6 hours or so.

• Zoltar says:

Bold Alex

I’ll check just for complicated food dish, or if you need to cook for more than 6 persons.
      I don’t check to make everything: you already a good chef with proficiency.

4. James Kittel says:

According to my new dm.. if you shoot/slash/stab something that is immune to cold dmg with a magical arrow/sword/dagger that has cold damage. The creature takes zero damage… even if there is a arrow/ / visibly planted in its chest. Is this true? I was always under the impression there were 2 types of dmg you have to account for in magical weapons. For ex: 1d8 slashing with 1d6 fire dmg added. Resistance or immunity to either slashing or fire didn’t negate the effect of the other.

• Zofi says:

There are 2 different types of damage. In your arrow example, it would be 1d8 piercing damage and 1d6 cold damage. If they have cold resistance, it would do full damage on the d8 and half damage on the d6. Just because they have resistance to one type of damage you’re doing doesn’t mean that they have resistance to the entire damage done.

5. werther Barreto paiva junior says:

If I cast vampiric Touch through my familiar and he deliver the Spell what happens next? He can use the Spell while I am concentration the Spell in história turn?

• According to RAW, I’d say no (though ask your DM since it is a strange combination).
        The rules say that ” your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell.”, once you’ve casted vampiric touch “you can make the attack again on each of your turns as an action”, which means you technically do not cast a spell and therefore your familiar cannot “deliver the spell as if you had cast the spell”.

6. vetismonster says:

I have a question about the teleport spell and the Associated object and the Familiarity

I want to use the teleport spell to get to a guild house, i’ve been to the guild house in the past. now the thing is I’ve bought items at the guild house in the past so I was wondering if they would count as Associated object since i got it from the guild house in the last six months as the spell says. the DM thinks since i bought the item it would no longer count as an Associated object from the guild house but is open to changing his mind about if i can get some other rulings about it, so what do you think the limits on Associated object are?

7. KazinFlynn says:

Me again, the player with a million questions 🙂 we have two dm’s that disagree on a rule. Do we add a Dex DMG bonus to short bows and long bows? Or to thrown ranged weapons? One DM says yes and one DM says that you add your +attack but not + to DMG.

• CDC says:

When you make a ranged weapon attack, you use whichever ability modifier is used with the weapon. An attack with a bow, or any other ranged weapon, adds your dexterity modifier to both the attack and damage roll.

For a melee weapon that you can throw, you use strength and add that to attack and damage.

If a weapon has the finesse property, you can choose which one you want to use, between dexterity and strength.

• KazinFlynn says:

Thanks, this helps. So a bow will use Dex for DMG and a thrown hand axe will use STR for DMG. There was also confusion about thrown axe being a ranged weapon. This answers all 🙂